Thursday 25 December 2014

THE BIGGEST SURPRISES OF 2014

Leave a Comment





















2014 was a big year for video game news. Huge games like Mortal Kombat X were revealed. Flappy Bird came and went. Halo 5's eSports emphasis was announced. But... which of those stories actually surprised us? It's one thing to excitedly get a sneak peek at Far Cry 4 or Street Fighter 5. But it's another for something to come out and genuinely catch us off guard.
Read on for our thoughts on which 2014 news stories we absolutely didn't see coming.
I vividly remember checking PSN’s web store with my boss and noticing something called PT. After exchanging puzzled glances, we both set it to download. The mystery surrounding PT was exciting, but I tried to temper my expectations a bit as it was free — it couldn’t be THAT good, right? After an unnecessarily long ride home in Bay Area rush hour traffic, I plopped down in front of my TV, equipped with a glass of water and my DualShock 4. Within minutes, several expletives had already escaped my mouth and I quietly turned my lights on before continuing. For the next few days, my Twitter feed (and even work inbox) was nothing but speculation on how to finish PT. Once the secret had been uncovered, I was blown away by what PT actually was.
It’s been months, but I’m still equally terrified and excited for Silent Hills. - Chris Abbott
I was so pleasantly surprised to see Inside announced at Microsoft's E3 press conference – especially because I didn't know exactly what it was as I was watching it. My first thought, given the artistic similarities, was, "Is this Limbo 2?" (My second thought, for what it's worth, was, "Oh my gosh, is that...another color besides black and white? Yes, I believe...yes, it's red!") Of course, Inside turned out to be its own beast, but developer Playdead's Limbo-y fingerprints are all over this – it's obvious even in a short trailer. Limbo is my favorite Xbox Live Arcade game of last generation, and after replaying Limbo again recently on Xbox One, I'm more excited than ever to see what story Playdead has to tell next, and seeing it bust out at E3 was definitely the biggest pleasant surprise of the year for me. - Ryan McCaffrey







0 comments:

Post a Comment